Welcome Abbot Kinney Triangle Neighbors—
Thank you so much for sharing your contact information with this project to support and protect our beautiful neighborhood. To refresh, about five of us are spearheading the formation of this new association. We distributed fliers and you responded by visiting abbotkinneytriangle.org to throw your hats into the neighborhood ring, bounded by Cabrillo, Grand, and Riviera.
As we mentioned in our flier, we have been spurred to action by the recent and alarming increase in crime, particularly “hot prowls” (break-ins while residents are home). Sadly, there has been another hot prowl since distributing the flier. It wasn’t in our Triangle, but on Venice Blvd. at Canal Street, just adjacent to the canals. Here is the homeowner’s description:
“A transient broke into my home this morning.
She climbed a wall onto my property and came in
through the front door. My pregnant wife woke me
up and I scared her out of the house where she
was arrested by LAPD in the parking lot behind my
house (while five other transients looked on passively).
We were lucky that we are safe and our
home was unharmed.”
The homeowner also wrote an open letter to local officials which you can read on our website here. Hot prowls continue to be an immediate danger in our neighborhood.Here’s what you can do:
- Keep your eyes and ears open; report dangerous or suspicious situations to 911 or other numbers below; and lock windows and doors, as much as possible, both when you are home and (of course) when you’re not.
- Write to our local officials expressing your concern. We’ve made it easy for you: visit this post on our website for email addresses of relevant public officials as well as a proposed email draft.
- In any way you can, please help to unify our voice as a neighborhood by communicating to officials our reasonable demand for improved security—it’s an action that will get immediate response.
- Finally, please reach out to your other neighbors and friends in the Abbot Kinney Triangle to see if they signed up. If not, tell them about what we’re doing. The more voices we have, the stronger we will be to protect and support our neighborhood and neighbors.
We will keep you posted as other such crime occurs. In the meantime, we will be organizing a neighborhood meeting for early to mid-January and send out an invitation as soon as details are secured.
All our best,
Abbot Kinney Triangle Neighborhood Association
PLEASE NOTE THAT IN THE ORIGINAL 12/3/14 EMAILING, CECILIA CASTILLO’S NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS WERE INCORRECT. THE BELOW INFO HAS BEEN UPDATED AND IS CORRECT.
Emergency contact information:
- 911 for in-progress crimes and life-threatening emergencies
- Police dispatch: (818) 734-2223
- LAPD Pacific Division: (310) 482-6334
- Senior Lead Officer Peggy Thusing: Mobile (310) 622-3968,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abandoned Vehicles: 800-ABANDON (222-6366)
- Graffiti Problems: 311
- Councilman Mike Bonin’s office (council district 11): (310) 568-8772,email@example.com
- Cecilia CastIllo, Mike Bonin’s CD11 Venice Deputy: firstname.lastname@example.org